The Leadership Academy is a 9-day leadership development program for library leaders. The Academy is sponsored by the New Jersey State Library, LibraryLinkNJ, and the New Jersey Library Association. It will be led Connie Paul and will include a structured learning track and the opportunity for individual development. The inaugural session will take place at the Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center on November 17-18, 2013, with Maureen Sullivan and will meet most months on the second Thursdays – December to June, 2014, at the Monroe Township Public Library.
Library leaders and others will introduce: Leading in turbulent times; Interpersonal competence; Power and influence; Working with teams; Keeping connected, NJ structure and demographics, and other topics.
Inclusion in the academy is by online application only. Applicants may nominate themselves or be nominated by their employer. The academy will be limited to 25 participants.
The cost for the nine day program is $400, and includes an overnight stay on November 17.
Outcomes: Participants in the program will
- Return to their institution with greater self-awareness and self-confidence, equipped with better skills for leading, coaching, collaborating, and engaging within their organizations and in their communities .
- Return to their communities as better leaders, prepared to identify, develop, and implement solutions which will benefit all stakeholders.
- Have the opportunity to form a vibrant learning community and network, which is an essential element of effective leadership development
Selection Criteria: The Leadership Academy selection committee seeks a diverse participant mix based on type of library (public, academic, school, special, etc.), organizational responsibility, geography, gender, and race/ethnicity. This will be a selective process based on demonstrated leadership potential, professional achievement and community or campus involvement. Particular attention will be given to applicants personal statements as well as those of their references.
In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold an MLS or equivalent degree; have at least 5 years of post-MLS library work experience; have a letter of support from his/her employer; be ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role when appropriate.
Application: The deadline for submission of the application and supporting materials is Friday, November 1, 2013. Applicants may nominate themselves or be nominated by their employer. Applicants must complete all five sections of the application form:
- Applicant Information
- Applicant Employer Information
- Applicant Demographic Information
- Applicant Personal Statements
- Attachments current resume/CV and employer letter of support
It is best to have your personal statements already written so you can paste them into the form. If you are nominating an employee, you will complete the first two sections of the application form and submit. The person will be notified that he/she has been nominated and will then complete the application.
Revised Key Institute Dates for 2013-2014
September 9 Application form opens
November 1 Deadline for submission of application and supporting materials
November 8 Applicants notified of selection results
For additional information about the institute or the application process, please contact
Connie Paul, firstname.lastname@example.org, 732-252-6469
The application is attached as a fill-in pdf form below. Enter your text then select FILE ->SAVE AS (name the document and save it as a .pdf) then email that document as an attachment. Email the completed form along with the other required attachments to: email@example.com.
|The Leadership Academy 2013-14 Application||535 kB|