The State Library maintains an extensive collection of materials on all aspects of New Jersey, other than those found in the official documents collection, embracing its history, culture, people, geography, politics, etc. Many of these titles are held in multiple copies and represent the largest collection of circulating Jerseyana materials in the state. When you are looking for information on New Jersey, whether it is a basic textbook on state government, materials on the Lenni Lenape Indians or a novel set in New Jersey, you are likely to find it in this collection.
Materials in this Level 4 collection include:
- Doctoral dissertations relating to New Jersey
- A subject index to New Jersey periodicals from the 1960s to the early 1990s
- A postcard and picture collection
- An index to pictures in books primarily from the 1920s to the 1940s though some are earlier.
Jerseyana materials in other collections include:
- New Jersey telephone books, (General Reference–Level 4)
- Law materials relating to New Jersey, (Law Library–Level 3)
- Annual reports for New Jersey non-profit corporations, (Funding Information Center – Level 4)
- College catalogs for New Jersey colleges, (General Reference–Level 4)
For the period from the mid-1960s to June 1989, there is an extensive file of newspaper articles arranged by subject and year. A subject list for this collection is kept on Level 4. Newspaper articles after 1985 are available through online databases: the Newark Star-Ledger (1989 to date); the Trenton Times (1993 to date); Bergen Record (1985 to date); and the Press of Atlantic City (1989 to date). For a complete listing of New Jersey newspapers available electronically go to our Electronic Resources page.
The Library tries to purchase three copies of each Jerseyana book, one for reference and two as circulating copies. Please speak to the librarian if you do not see the book you seek on the open shelves on Level 4 and we will retrieve the reference copy for you.
New Jersey State Library – Level 4
185 West State Street
(mailing address: PO Box 520)
Trenton, NJ 08625
Telephone: 609-278-2640 x145
Librarian: Deborah Mercer