The following resources are helpful in researching information about personal financing, finance, and investing.
I. Search our catalog:
Suggested subject words:
- Bank management
- Business consultants
- Corporations finance
- Finance, personal – periodicals
When searching our catalog for New Jersey-related materials, use the New Jersey subject keyword index.
American Financial Directory. Norcross, GA: McFadden Business Publications, 2010.
Call #: R332.1025 M143 Reference-Level 4
Encyclopedia of Banking and Finance (9th Ed.). Munn, Glenn. Rolling Meadows, IL: Bankers Publishing Co., 1991.
Call #: R332.03 M966.9 Reference-Level 4
International Encyclopedia of the Stock Market. Sheimo, Michael (Ed.). Chicago, IL: Fitzroy Dearborn, c.1999.
Call #: R332.64 I61 Reference-Level 4
Palgrave Macmillan Dictionary of Finance, Investment and Banking. Banks, Erik (Ed.), New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
Call #: R332.03 B218.2 Reference-Level 4
Business Periodical Index. Call #: R016.65 B979 Located on level 4.
- banking and finance
- money market funds
- personal financing
Use to locate journal articles and essays:
- ABI/Inform Global
- Omnifile Full Text Select
- EbscoHost* Choose by checking one or more of the following:
- Academic Search Complete
- Business Source Premier
- Regional Business News
- Master File Premier
- Newspaper Source
Use to locate Annual Reports:
Use to locate company information:
- Mergent Online
- Mergent WebReports
- Morningstar Investment Research Center
- New Jersey Business Records Service
- Reference USA Database Suite
Use to locate industry information:
Use to locate statistical information:
For information on Federal Business Opportunities:
Other business databases:
American Depositary Receipts Annuities Bonds CDs Direct Investments/DRIPS 401(k) 403(b) 457 Government Bonds & Bills Hard Assets Hedge Funds Index Funds IPOs Mutual Funds Options & Futures REITS Socially Responsible Investing Stocks
Learning to Invest
- Compare interest rates on CDs, mortgages, consumer loans, and debt consolidation. Provides information and tools to help consumers make financial decisions.
- Bonds Online
- Free and fee-based bond information including quotes, bond basics, types of bonds and tips on buying and selling.
- Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information
- Federal Trade Commission pamphlets to improve financial literacy for consumers and businesses. Use the sidebar to find topics of interest.
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- FINRA provides investors with articles and interactive tools that help investors protect themselves. From FINRA’s web site, their chief role is to protect investors by maintaining the fairness of the U.S. capital markets.
- Google Finance Portfolio
- Complete the free registration to create and maintain your portfolio of stocks and mutual funds.
- Investor’s Clearinghouse
- By the Alliance for Investor Education, a non-profit corporation formed to help individuals be managers of their own money. Covers investments at different ages, the major investment vehicles and how they work.
- Jump$tart – Financial Smarts for Students
- Jump$tart aims to improve the financial literacy of young people and promote the teaching of personal finance. The site has an information clearinghouse for fee and free materials. Take a look at JumpStart’s Reality Check a page which asks kids to make choices about how they will live when they are independent – and then shows them how much they will need to earn to finance their chosen lifestyle.
- Explains topics on investment such as How To Read An Annual Report and How Finance Works. Also contains a financial calculator and glossary.
- Targeting those in their 20′s and 30′s this web site covers money management and investing basics, student loans, taxes and real estate.
- A Federal Government site offering tips on budgeting and taxes, credit, financial planning, home ownership, paying for education, and saving and investing.
- National Association of Investors Corporation
- A non-profit organization dedicated to the education of individual investors and investment clubs. Information on how to start an investment club, how to teach children about investing, assistance for treasurers of investment clubs.
- Wall Street Journal’s Markets Data Center
- The Online Markets Data Center provides current financial information about stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, Bonds, commodities and currencies.
- Credit Bureaus
- Addresses and links to the major credit bureaus along with advice on how to settle disputes, what to do if you have less than a perfect score, and how to strengthen your credit.
- Fiscal Fitness: Choosing a Credit Counselor
- A brief article from the Federal Consumer Information Center on how to choose a credit counselor, including a list of twenty two questions to ask your potential counselor. Other brief articles are available on credit and money.
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling
- The NFCC is a national non-profit umbrella organization for credit counseling agencies. All members are accredited by the Council of Accreditation of Services for Families and Children, Inc. (COA). This web site will help you contact member agencies, provide online counseling and give general advice on debt and budgeting.
- NOLO – Bankruptcy Center
- Provides many answers to general questions about debt and bankruptcy such as which debts must be repaid, what happens when you write a bad check, Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and how to rebuild credit after have been declared bankrupt.
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the State of New Jersey
- Official bankruptcy forms in .pdf format, booklets such as “Bankruptcy Basics,” and local bankruptcy rules relating to New Jersey.
- Calculator’s Online Center
- Part of Martindale’s The Reference Desk includes links to over sixteen different types of financial calculator including compound interest, financial aid, mortgage loans and refinancing, net worth and retirement.
- Mortgage and Financial Calculators
- Over forty different financial calculators.
- Calculators for stocks, retirement scenarios, mutual funds, term vs. life insurance, credit cards, autos along with banking and saving and budgeting.
- All Things Frugal
- Articles on how to live frugally and save money in everyday life.
- Frugal Living
- The guide at About.com has assembled a wide selection of links and articles on how to live cheaply. This site has an expanded index. Over thirty categories including tips, gifts, appliances, making money, beauty.
Comments and questions may be directed to Reference Services.