In all aspects of the continued success of libraries, the most important role is that of the library director. The library director should be the nexus of information, sharing with the library board of trustees ideas, concerns, financial and budgetary information, political sensitivities, and, most critically, a vision for the future. After all, it is the library director who knows the most about the library, its challenges, and its hopes for the future.
Library Director Core Knowledge
- Annual Survey
- Library Law
- Library Law Webinar
- Library Statistics
- Library Structure and Funding – PowerPoint
- Per Capita State Aid
- Per Capita State Aid Webinar
- Sample New Library Director Manual
- Timeline for Per Capita State Aid Process
- Working Together: Roles & Responsibilities Guidelines Chart
Public Library Law Digests
- Establishment of Municipal and Joint Public Libraries
- Maintenance of Municipal and Joint Public Libraries
- County Libraries
- Association Libraries
Links to Presentations and Handouts for all Directors
- New Directors Training 2016
- Library Leadership Training, 2011
- Trends for Libraries, 2012
- Budget and Financial Reporting, 2015
- Library Finance, 2014
- Library Law, 2015
- Managing and Evaluating Staff, 2015
- PR and Your Library, 2015
- Purchasing Basics for Local Government Units, 2015
- Library Structure and Funding, 2014
- Working with Your Trustees and Friends, 2015
- Working with Your Trustees and Friends Handout
Links to Webinars and Videos for all Directors
- Per Capita State Aid Webinar
- The Law and Libraries Webinar
- Dealing with Difficult Patrons Webinar
- The NJ League of Municipalities – The NJ League of Municipalities offers seminars and events that are informative and useful to administrators, directors, and librarians. They cover topics such as OPRA (open public records act), digital government, procurement. Sign up for their emails and seminars which also gives legislative news for New Jersey.
- Why Can’t We All Get Along: Friends & Foundations – Available to watch now, this free webinar series “Why Can’t We All Get Along: Friends & Foundations” discusses ways in which Library Friends and Foundation organizations can better work together to accomplish similar goals. Additionally, we discuss the opportunity of merging your support organizations. This webinar is produced by Library Strategies Consulting Group and hosted by consultants Peter Pearson and Stu Wilson.
Training Express: Video Borrowing Service
LibraryLinkNJ is pleased to provide this new service to our members. Weve selected a library of high-quality, high-interest videos on topics pertaining to library transformation, customer service, successful communication and library marketing.
For a list of videos and borrowing guidelines, please visit the Training Express page.
The NJ Public Library Directors Summit
The New Jersey State Library with LibraryLinkNJ, The New Jersey Library Cooperative is sponsoring the second Public Library Directors’ Summit on Tuesday, October 24, 2017, at the Holiday Inn in East Windsor.
This one-day event will provide public library directors with best practices and the latest developments in the areas of library law and other public library topics. The summit will feature programs on library law by Michael Cerone, facilities management by Michael Gannon, and a library technology infrastructure update by Carson Block.
9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Coffee and registration from 9:00 to 9:30 am. Program begins promptly at 9:30.
Registration for the Public Library Directors’ Summit 2017 opens 8/22.
- Better With a Crowd! Crowdfunding for Libraries – Andrea Levandowski, Reference Librarian, Funding Information, New Jersey State Library – 2015
- Challenging Wonka – Jennifer Doderer, Director of Human Resources, Ocean County Library – 2015
- The More You Know… – Michael A. Cerone, Jr., Attorney at Law – 2015
NJ State Library New Directors Orientation
The 2017 New Directors’ Orientation was held on February 15, 2017, at the New Jersey State Library, 5th Floor Meeting Room, 185 West State St., Trenton 08608.
The workshop featured essential information for new library directors in the following areas:
- Overview of New Jersey State Library services focusing on how WE can help serve YOU in your new position as Library Director.
- NJ Library Law, Policies and Procedures
- New Directors Sharing Session
- Library Law
- Grant Finding and Writing Resources at the New Jersey State Library
- Strategic Planning for Your Library
- Per Capita State Aid and Statistics
- The Future of Libraries
Public Library Director 101 Series
Are you new to the public library director role? Or considering becoming a director in the future? The Public Library Director 101 Series will introduce you to the many and unique facets of public library directorship. This series of four webinar recordings provides a broad overview that both informs and inspires.
- In Your New Role you’ll hear about ethics, values, and leadership – all important traits for public library directors. (Duration: 11 minutes)
- The Community Relations module will introduce you to marketing, public relations, and outreach from the public library director perspective. (Duration: 15 minutes)
- The third installment of the series Planning and Project Management discusses essential steps in the strategic planning process, the benefits of strategic planning, and tools for successful project management. (Duration: 17 minutes)
- In the final module, Asset Management you’ll learn about managing the varied assets of library systems, including staff, buildings, collections, and budget. (Duration: 28 minutes)
The Public Library Director 101 Series was produced through the COSLA Continuing Education Connector project and supported through funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. For more information, contact COSLA Executive Director Timothy Cherubini at email@example.com.