N.J. Constitutional Convention: Vol. 4, Page 556
(Submitted to the Governor, the Legislature and the People of New Jersey, May, 1942)
(EXCERPTS RELATING TO THE JUDICIAL ARTICLE)
1. The highest court in New Jersey shall be a Supreme Court, to be the appellate court of last resort and to replace the present Court of Errors and Appeals. The Supreme Court shall also make rules as to pleading, practice and evidence in all the courts.
2. The Supreme Court shall consist of a Chief Justice and six associate justices, to be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate.
3. There shall be a State-wide trial court of general jurisdiction in law and equity, to be known as the Superior Court. This court shall replace the present Supreme Court, Court of Chancery, Prerogative Court, Circuit Courts, orphans' courts, common pleas courts, courts of oyer and terminer, courts of special sessions and courts of quarter sessions.
4. The Superior Court shall have a total membership of not less than twenty-five justices, and shall hold sessions in each county.
5. Appeals shall be heard by appellate divisions of the Superior Court. Further appeals to the Supreme Court shall be taken in certain specified classes of cases.
6. Every controversy shall be completely determined by any justice before whom it is heard, and upon appeal the appellate court shall exercise all jurisdiction necessary to do full justice.
7. The Chief Justice shall be the responsible supervisory head of all the courts, and shall enforce rules of administration to be adopted by the Supreme Court.
8. The Chief Justice shall appoint an executive director of the courts who shall handle the business affairs of the courts.
9. The Chief Justice shall annually prepare a public report on the work of the courts.
10. The justices of the Supreme Court shall in the first instance be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate from among the Chief Justice, the Chancellor, the justices
Previous Page in Book ********* Table of Contents *********** Next Page in Book