Thanks to those who attended last week’s presentation of Volunteering: A Doorway to Employment! During the presentation, we discussed how volunteering might be a valuable addition to standard job searching activities.
Volunteering gives you the opportunity to:
- Expand your social circles and create more networking opportunities
- Learn new skills, get more experience, or try a type of job
- Gain mentors or those who are willing to act as a reference on job applications
- Add more work experience to your resume
- Possibly find paid work through the organization where you volunteer
Are you interested in finding a volunteer position and are not sure where to start? The Governor’s Office on Volunteerism can link you to volunteer agencies who are looking to recruit. In addition the New Jersey Career Connections website has a listing of volunteer organization websites or search engines designed to help connect you with a great volunteer position. If you need additional assistance locating a great volunteer position, please contact the New Jersey State Library Reference Department at 609-278-2640 x103.