New Jersey library staff from across the state who work with young children attended a free training workshop led by early literacy consultant Saroj Ghoting (photo below left) entitled: Science and Math for Everyone! Exploring Science and Math Concepts Through Storytimes on Tuesday, September 27, 2016.
The all-day training was held at the Bridgewater Library branch of the Somerset County Library System. Participants were asked to bring a written storytime plan, for a traditional storytime not with science or math as the theme or topic, and the actual books they use to the training. The concept was to use science to enhance the story.
Topics covered included:
- Identify how science and math concepts support STEM education and early literacy
- Identify how they support common core and early learning standards
- Identify how traditional storytimes can support these concepts
- Learn how to help adults incorporate them into daily conversations and activities with their young children
- Gain an understanding of scientific and mathematical thinking of newborns to children age five
- Build on traditional storytimes to explore strategies and techniques to support science, math and early literacy.