The New Jersey State Library is happy to announce the 2017 “SWAT Team,” once again offering public libraries an opportunity to transform an area within the interior space of their buildings. In 2010 the State Library first created a “SWAT Team of Library Transformers,” a group of experienced New Jersey Library Directors who have vast stores of talent to share with you. Thanks to an arrangement between NJSL and the team members’ home libraries, these consultants will be available to offer their expertise regarding your proposed project. They will support and inspire you and be available for periodic consultations throughout the duration of your endeavor.
SWAT Team Consultants:
Cheryl McBride (Chair) North Brunswick Public Library
Carol Boutilier Sparta Township Public Library
Will Porter, Roxbury Public Library
Anne Wodnick, Gloucester County Library System
Peggy Cadigan, New Jersey State Library (liaison)
TO APPLY, SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
1. Identify the space you have selected to be transformed. (Note: This area must be a public space.)
2. State your transformational goals. For example: Are you trying to showcase a collection or are you trying to create better sight lines?
Included among the selection criteria:
- Project has a positive impact on customers
- Project has a dramatic visible result
- Result provides a good example to be replicated by other libraries
3. Submit Photographs showing the space you want to transform.
4. Submit documentation that you have had an internal dialogue with staff about the project. e.g., survey results or notes from a staff meeting.
5. Include a Letter of Endorsement or resolution from your governing body indicating their support for this venture. This support MUST INCLUDE a minimum appropriation of $5,000 which you will use for your project.
Selected libraries will be invited to bring their internal “Transformation Team” to the Glassboro Public Library, where they will tour the library and receive expert advice from the SWAT Team consultants.
Deadline to apply: February 1, 2017
Selections announced: February 15, 2017, after committee review
Project Completion: March 2, 2018
Send all documents to Peggy Cadigan, Deputy State Librarian.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By FAX: 609-278-2652
By US Mail: New Jersey State Library, P.O. Box 520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
By Fed Ex or Courier: New Jersey State Library, 185 West State Street, Trenton, NJ 08625
If you have any questions, please contact Peggy at 609-278-2640 ext. 113.
Libraries that have been transformed:
Atlantic County Library System – Mays Landing Branch
Belmar Public Library
Caldwell Public Library
Cedar Grove Public Library
Clifton Public Library – Allwood Branch
Gloucester County Library System – Glassboro Branch
Matawan-Aberdeen Public Library
Midland Park Public Library
Oakland Public Library
Sayreville Public Library
Somerset County Library System – Warren Township Branch