On November 7, 2017, New Jersey voters approved a landmark new construction program, the New Jersey Library Construction Bond Act, which authorizes the issuance of $125 million in State General Obligation Bonds to provide grants for the construction, reconstruction, development, extension, improvement and furnishing of public libraries in the State of New Jersey.
This web page was created for public librarians who intend to apply for this grant and provides information on the program, resource lists of architects, building program consultants, interior designers, and fundraisers.
To learn more, visit the links below:
- Attend a Technical Assistance Webinar on Jan. 22, 2020 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- New Jersey Library Construction Bond Act regulation
Solicitation for Grant Applications
WINTER 2020 CYCLE
Issue Date: January 6, 2020
Applications Accepted March 9, 2020 through 4:00 p.m. EDT April 6, 2020.
The State Library does not make recommendations on any of the firms listed on these resource lists, but provides them for informational purposes. Worksheets on various topics related to library construction have also been developed.
- NEW Advocacy and the Power of Narrative: Storytelling as a Fundraising Tool (American Libraries)
- NEW Small Libraries Create Smart Spaces (Webjunction)
- NEW Helsinki’s Poetic New Central Library Is a Public Space for the Digital Age (Metropolis)
- NEW A Robot-filled, Architectural Marvel in North Carolina is the Library of the Future (Quartz)
- NEW Chicago Finds a Way to Improve Public Housing: Libraries (New York Times)
- WBDG: Whole Building Design Guide This article, updated in 2017, gives an overview of design considerations for public libraries. The information on sustainable design is particularly interesting. It provides a checklist to ensure that public libraries incorporate sustainable design. The article also provides a quick overview of space needs and design demonstrating the kind of determinations and calculations that a building consultant will provide.
Resource lists of architects, building program consultants, interior designers, and fundraisers:
- Architects List
- Library Building Consultants
- Interior Designers
- Fundraisers List
- Choosing an Architect for Your Construction Project
- Planning a New Library Building
- Public Library Construction Bibliography
- New Jersey Clean Energy Program
Americans with Disabilities Act:
- ADA and Libraries
- Libraries and Accessibility: Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- 12 Basic Requirements for ADA Compliance at the Library
- ADA Checklist for Existing Facilities
- New ADA Signage Standards Take Effect
- The Americans with Disabilities Act – Title II Technical Assistance Manual
Updated: January 15, 2020