Dealing with the aftermath of a disaster can be overwhelming. This is your One Stop Shop for disaster recovery efforts for librarians, businesses, and the general public.
- Hurricane Sandy Information Center
- Disaster Apps and Mobile Optimized Web Pages
- Coping with Disasters, Violence, and Traumatic Events
- Health and Safety Issues in Natural Disasters
- Important Documents for Municipalities, Schools and Government Agencies
- New Jersey State Library Emergency Management Collection
- Emergency Procedures Poster
- Red Cross Emergency Tip Sheets (English and Spanish)
The New Jersey State Library wishes to remind libraries damaged in a major disaster that they are eligible for federal assistance under the Stafford Act.
The Stafford Act authorizes federal assistance for temporary relocation of public libraries. Libraries are now included in the list of public facilities that are eligible for federal assistance through FEMA with temporary relocation following a major disaster.
For the language in the Stafford Act, see http://www.fema.gov/pdf/government/grant/pa/9253_3.pdf. Eligible public facilities include facilities for police, fire protection/emergency services, medical care, education, libraries, utilities and other essential community services.
This change was announced in January 2011, by ALA: http://connect.ala.org/node/127510.