TBBC is partnering with the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI) on the LEAP initiative. The Library Equal Access Program (LEAP) provides free computer and iPad training classes at assistive technology learning centers located in 11 public libraries across the state. LEAP is for New Jersey residents 55 and older who have a change in vision.
The iPad and computer classes will be provided by Advancing Opportunities and will be held from March through June. Classes will meet once a week for an hour and a half. Here is a list of the classes offered:
iPad Class – Basics (6 weeks)
In this beginner class, you will receive an introduction to the iPad. In addition, you will be introduced to accessibility features on the iPad, such as Zoom and Voice Over (Apple’s built-in screen reader), to access the iPad. iPads will be available for use in class or you may bring your own iPad or iPhone with you (the accessibility features on the iPad and the iPhone are the same).
iPad Class – Intermediate (4 weeks)
iPad experience is a prerequisite for this course. In this intermediate class you will build on your basic iPad skills to learn more about the accessibility features and assistive apps available to you. iPads will be available for use in class or you may bring your own iPad or iPhone.
Introduction to Computers & Accessibility (4 weeks)
This beginner class covers basic computer terminology, mouse & keyboarding skills, and computer navigation skills. You will also receive an introduction to the software available on these computers to help you see and hear the computer.
- Atlantic City Free Public Library – Tennessee Ave (Intro. to computers & accessibility class)
- Atlantic City Free Public Library – Richmond Ave (iPad Basics & intermediate class)
- Atlantic County Library System – Mays Landing Branch
- Cherry Hill Public Library
- East Brunswick Public Library
- Johnson Public Library – Hackensack
- Monmouth County Library – Manalapan NEWEST LEAP LIBRARY!
- Morristown & Morris Township Library
- Newark Public Library
- Ocean County Library – Toms River Branch
- South Orange Public Library
To register and find the schedule for these FREE Spring 2019 LEAP classes, please call the Talking Book & Braille Center at 800-792-8322, extension 812.