Thank you to Nora Sirbaugh from the Master Gardeners of Mercer County for sharing a wide variety of tips on how to create and maintain a successful garden. There are a variety of factors, from the gardener to the environment, that determine that will determine the health of your garden and plants. Here are some tips to ensure that you have a healthy and vibrant garden:
- Patience – some plants take time to grow and mature
- Educate yourself – the more you learn about gardening, the better you will be when it comes to decisions about what/when/where to plant as well as when/what to fertilize, prune, and water
- Keep a diary/log – track what you plant and where to serve as a reference for the future as well as take pictures or walk your garden daily to spot things before they become serious
- Plants are not furniture – plants are not static objects; they grow, some quickly and others slowly, so be sure to keep attentive to your plants to ensure they are healthy and your garden looks nice
- Know your soil – it is recommended to have a soil test done to ensure that you are planting the right plants in your soil to ensure they grow properly and stay healthy
For more information on gardening tips, as well as a list of other events and programs offered by the Master Gardeners of Mercer County, please visit their website: http://mgofmc.org/.